• From: NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development Working Papers for Minors Goes Digital on June 1, 2023

    The Working Papers Application Is Online at MyWorkingPapers.nj.gov

    Schools No Longer Administer Working Papers Applications

    All New Jersey minors are required to have working papers as a condition of employment.

    A new law — A4222 — effective June 1, 2023 significantly changes how minors get working papers and switches oversight and administration to the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development (NJDOL). The new process is online and streamlined, and can be accessed at MyWorkingPapers.nj.gov. That URL — MyWorkingPapers.nj.gov — is all the information minors and employers need to drive the working papers application forward.

    Here’s how it works:

    1. Minors and their employers each go to MyWorkingPapers.nj.gov to start.

    2. The employer is emailed a unique 8-digit code they share with every minor they hire.

    3. The minor fills out their working papers application online, entering the employer’s unique 8-digit code. The minor adds their caregiver’s name and email address.

    4. The employer is emailed when a minor applies for working papers using unique 8-digit code assigned to their business. The employer clicks the link in the email to add job duties and hours and give their OK.

    5. The caregiver is emailed that a working papers application has been started by a minor in their care. The caregiver clicks the link in the email to give their OK and provide the minor’s proof of age.

    6. The minor and their employer each receive an email when the caregiver takes action on the working papers application.

    7. The minor can begin working — unless they receive an email rejecting their application. (Notification of approval/rejection can be expected within 24 hours of the caregiver taking action.)

    Guiding Minors Toward a Career Path, Educating Young Workers About their Work Rights

    The new process gives NJDOL the opportunity to reach minors and their caregivers about career services, apprenticeship opportunities and their work rights at the time it matters most — the beginning of their work lives.

    NJDOL has developed a suite of online information and services for young workers. It contains information about how to write a resume, develop interviewing skills, and find a job. The site also contains a section on vocational rehabilitation employment and the protections and rights minors are entitled to under child labor laws. Upcoming job fairs are also covered.




    1. Employment Information (section B) – After you have completed your personal information (section A), bring your certification form to the employer. The employer completes the Employment Information and signs and dates the Promise of Employment. If any of the employment details have been pre-filled and are incorrect, the employer must cross out the incorrect information and enter, initial and date the corrections.

    2. Physician’s Certification (section C) – The school district is responsible for performing the physical examination at no cost to you or your parents. A school physical (including a sports physical) performed during freshman year is good for all four years of high school (unless the school district policy specifies more frequent physicals). If your parent/guardian prefers that you be examined by a doctor other than the one employed by the school district, you may do so at your parent/guardian’s expense. A minor is not required to obtain a physical if the parent/guardian objects (in writing) based on their religious beliefs and practices.

    3. Proof of Age (section D) – If the school does not have a copy on file, you may be asked to provide a birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate or other identification documentation to the School Issuing Officer.
    4. Parent/Guardian Authorization (section A) – Your parent/guardian must indicate his/her authorization of your employment as specified in the Employment Information by signing and dating the Parent/Guardian authorization.

    5. School Record/Issuing Officer Certification (sections E & F) - Bring the completed certification form to your school district. A designated school official will review the form and issue the working papers only after being satisfied that the working conditions and hours will not interfere with your education or damage your health. The official may refuse to issue working papers if such refusal would be in your best interest.

    6. Scan your completed certification form and birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate or other identification documentation using a scanner or a free smart phone app such as CamScanner (Apple or Android) and email it to Mrs. Robinson at crobinson@mahwah.k12.nj.us

    7. Upon receipt, we will certify and email you back your working papers to present to your employer.


  • Mrs. Carrie Robinson

    District Issuing Officer


    email icon